Want to know how to make the best and most nutritious nachos ever?
I am going to provide you with everything you need to know about how to make the most delicious Nachos, filled with proteins, carbohydrates, and veggies, and of course a hefty amount of cheese on top and between layers. I call it my lazy recipe because of how easy and fulfilling it is.
How to Make the Best Nachos
For the spice mix:
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon of granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- A pinch of cayenne pepper (optional for extra spice)
For the nachos:
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 1 pound of ground beef (preferred 80:20 lean-to-fat ratio)
- 16 ounces (2 cups) of refried beans, canned or even homemade
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 large bag of tortilla chips
- 4 ounces of cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups), and some extra for topping
- 4 ounces of Colby Jack cheese, grated (about 2 cups), and some extra for topping
- 1 cup pico de gallo, store-bought or homemade, and some extra for topping
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño (pickled or fresh), sliced
- Sour cream
- Canned black olives
- Sliced green onions
- Shredded lettuce
- Hot sauce
Steps of making:
- Start by making your own taco spice mix by mixing all the spices you have in a small bowl.
- In a pan placed on medium heat, add a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil. Wait until the oil starts sizzling, then pour in your ground beef. Separate the clumps of meat using a wooden spoon, then add the taco spice mix. Mix them all together.
- Meat should take from 8 to 10 minutes to thoroughly cook. Once they are brown enough, drain the excess fat using a colander.
- Return the minced meat back to the pan after draining it, then add in the refried beans and water. Mix everything together until they are incorporated and smooth enough.
- Lower the heat to “Low” while you prepare the plate of Nacho chips.
- On a baking tray place the tortilla chips you are going to bake. Make sure they don’t overlap each other much. Transfer the baking sheet to a preheated oven at 350°F. Bake the chips for 5 minutes or until they crisp a bit.
- Now for the most important part, which is assembling the Nacho plate. Once you take the baking sheet out of the oven, freshly grate your cheese on top and wait for it to melt from the heat radiating from the Nachos.
Place a layer of the minced meat with the refried beans, then top it with another layer of freshly grated cheese. Transfer the baking sheet back to the oven for a few minutes until the cheese melts.
- Serve the plate hot after topping it with pico de gallo, chopped cilantro, jalapeño slices, or any of the preferred toppings.
Follow this recipe to check out the best way to reheat Nachos and the best toppings to use to enjoy your plate of Nachos.